Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Big Brother Comes to Malaysia

Well sort of. I have had enough of living in a condo and also had enough of the rental price hikes. I needed to cut back on my outgoings and the easiest place to do this was to move into a house.


Trouble is I have always been a little wary to stay in a house alone. No security, blah, blah, blah. So I mentioned this to Lydia a few months back when out on a run, that I was thinking of moving and would like to stay in a house. She said yeah me too! There is a third party. Disco Dave. So I ran the idea by him and as if by chance our leases were expiring within a month of each other.

Now I have not shared a home (not counting when I was married) since my student days. And that didn't last long - the sharing I mean!! So Lydia has been a star and found the perfect house while I was away slogging it in Kona, Napa and Maui. I viewed the house for the first time last week. I can not believe how relaxed I have been about the whole process, virtually horizontal I would say, but then I am supposed to still be resting! 

When I was away I also realized that on our moving date, December 1st - I would not be in the country. I am off to Phuket to cover the LPT and IM 70.3 Asian World Champ's. Whoops! A quick mail to Dave and Lydia to the effect of. "Guys, if I pack everything up nicely and leave the keys with you, do you think you could let the movers in to shift the stuff to the new place on December 1st?"

Oh it's good to have friends. Now they probably said something to the effect of "Blooming Cheeky B****" but their reply was, "of course we can." Wonderful, wiggled out of that one didn't I ;-) But I will play chef to show my appreciation when I get back - now you know I am a GREAT cook!

This will be my third move in just under 3years. I plan on traveling rather a lot next year if all goes well. So no point throwing money down the drown at a place you are never in. 

Now lets rewind to my comment about "Now I have not shared a home (not counting when I was married) since my student days. And that didn't last long...!!" Reason being, I couldn't get along with my roomies at all and just had to move out before I went cuckoo. 

Since then and these days I believe I am much more relaxed about life. I certainly have less stress in my life. And while there are a whole lot of opportunities that keep coming along, I do not have to do them all. I am learning to say the words, "No thank you. I am too busy." Mind you, I haven't used them yet!

So it's going to be a little like big brother I feel. We have even spoken about hidden cameras!! Hey! If someone offered money I'm in, are you?

No comments: