Sunday, July 27, 2008

Enforced Holiday

The ride out to Salak yesterday was well attended with 16 riders. I don’t know if the coffee shop knew quite what had hit them when all these lycra clad lads and lasses rolled in and took over. It is also the first time we have been given an official bill and receipt!
I have to admit my training has been pretty heavy of late. The Wednesday ride started to show serious signs of fatigue and yesterday just confirmed the fact that the legs have had enough. Plus the fact that I have been unable to sleep for the past few weeks has not helped at all. When I almost nodded off at the wheel whilst driving on Friday and couldn’t finish a weight session at the gym I decided to take some of my own advice, and rest. After the Sunday run this morning of course.
Well funnily enough I had my first good night’s sleep in ages last night and when the alarm went off I was very close to staying put. Not relishing the idea of 21k after the cycling pain and short brick run yesterday you could say I was NOT up for it. But since the next 5days I have given myself an enforced “holiday” only LIGHT training allowed until next Saturday, I downed some black coffee and went to meet the others.
So how surprised was I to finish with a beaming smile on my face? Maybe it was the blue smarties, maybe it was the coffee and maybe it was my running buddies that carried me along. Julie, Randy and Marianna made this morning’s jaunt very entertaining and I apologise for my excessive happiness (like I say, not sure what was happening), maybe it was the pending 5 days of NO early mornings.
On the way back, Bee (aka, gadget girl and now RH Bee), joined us. Bee will usually drop off the pace a bit but like the trooper she is stuck with us (probably regrettably), and when some silly person suggested going back via double hill (as a joke), that person then had to follow through with the detour (when will I learn to shut my mouth)!
Julie and I tried singing little ditties to carry us up the hills, but without the word sheets we were pretty crap (and I thought she knew her nursery rhymes). I also don’t think the others appreciated our strained and wheezing (Emma) vocals trying to run up the lovely hills.
Anyway, on revealing my plan of light exercise, no one believed me. “Yeah right,” “Believe it when I see it,” type of retorts. So I promised to blog it and make my actions official. I WILL NOT ride wed morning and I WILL NOT partake in any early morning runs and swims. If you want to know where I am – hopefully I will be fast asleep zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
BTW: If sleep still eludes me, I may take Julie up on her offer to strap me into her 2year olds car seat and drive around until I drop off. Quite who is then going to carry me out of the car, I haven’t a clue.

2 comments:

yipwt said...

A rest will do you good :)

Vicious Cycle said...

Thanks for the ride on saturday.
Randy invited me over. i'd thank him to0. good tempo for overall distance.