Monday, July 21, 2008

Port Dickson Olympic Distance Triathlon 20.07.08

(Pictures Courtesy of Ivie & Tey)
For full size high resolution glory click on the pix
This is the 2nd time I have shared a house with Randy, Ivy, Sam and Carmen this year and it makes such a relaxing change to the mayhem of hotels and overloaded rooms. It is also very much easier on my pocket. So once again you two, thanks.
I don’t know about anyone else, but I never sleep well prior to a race and for some reason was really nervous this time around. It all started when I saw
the amount of girls in my group, so my apologies if I was short with anyone prior to the start – just trying to get into "the" zone. We rode down to the start, checked the bikes in and got marked up, everything went smoothly and Chris, KK, Gane, Gnae, Li-sar, Bee and Michelle to name a few were all in good spirits – again I apologise for my sour face!
We were started in waves – again all very new to me but after a little dabble in the water I felt pretty good and calm. My wave included both girl’s age-groups and the old farts – opps sorry, over 50 dirty old – opps sorry, OVER 50’s MEN. Randy’s group as with Simon and KK was large enough to go on their own, hence a lot of competition. I believe around 1400 competitors this year.
The horn sounded and we plunged in. Now everyone knows my swim is pretty diabolical so I have really been busting a gut trying to improve. Also I have not always handled the mass start and flailing arms and legs too well, nor have I been too good at navigating and swimming in a straight line, but as each race has progressed I have begun to feel a little more comfortable.

Once into my stroke I noticed Carmen in her BB (Bike Boutique) tri-suit 5 or 6 meters in front and she didn’t seem to be getting away. "Bloody hell," I must be doing something right for once, let’s just hang back and see how it all unfolds I think to myself. I came out of the swim just in front of Carmen and when I eventually looked at my watch after the 150m dash across the sand up by the showers it read 32min, that’s a PB by 5minutes! I was well happy and couldn't stop smiling to myself. It was shortlived though as I then shouted out loud to myself "forget about it", the swim is done but the race ain’t over. (A note to you all, yes I can be a bit mental - you should hear me talking to myself when in the chocolate aisle in the supermarket - but thats another story).
I got on my bike with Chris at the line, WOW. "Hop on to my tail," I yelled, (I only offer this once by the way) and then I went, never looking back. Out of transition I was told I was 10th – oh dear a lot of work to do. Well I passed around 10 girls by 15k’s, so then any notion of placing completely went haywire. I rode on my own, and as hard as I could go telling myself I may not be drafting but this will make me stronger. It’s not going to help the run much but eventually I will be stronger!
I finally started catching up with some groups of guys usually with a girl amidst them. My strategy? Ride up, see how fast they are going, and go past. Tempting as it is to take a draft I knew my race was all about playing catch up, and if I let up and drafted below pace then I would not catch Steph – my nemesis! And so every group I passed a few decided to latch on and I guess it grew and grew – as I say I was not looking behind.
At around the 28k's I came across yet another group and focused as I am I cannot miss it when a guy starts patting his backside! I thought eh up that’s a bit friendly but thanks for the gesture. I then looked at the bike, and the butt again (sorry!) and realised it has KK having a bad day. I came out of the group and rode by his side whereby he barked GO! Now I always do as I am told, so GO I DID.
Into transition out onto the run and boy was it hot. They had changed the route. Having never done it before made no difference to me but this route on the highway was long and draining and a real scorcher, with really not enough water stops in my opinion. By this time I thought I was 3rd or 4th. I then saw someone in front with long hair but couldn’t fathom whether it was a guy or girl. I was comfortably catching “it” up, and once upon “it” realised it was one damn fit ripped girl with more veins popping than me! Do I stay back or overtake I think. Well having tried and failed that manoeuvre before I went by and hoped for the best. She didn’t follow, another one down, no clue how many more.
Coming up to the u-turn Steph was coming the other way, buggar she must have had at least a k on me. Oh well, never mind. I still didn’t know where I was so maintained the pace and when I turned off the main road into the home straight 200m ahead was Steph, so I thought. Not entirely sure though, so do I gun it? She then presented me with the confirmation of catching her name on her butt and that was it, the carrot was in sight. With an asthma attack well on the way I went as hard as I could to catch her. Turning into the final straight I passed just as she got on the carpet and sprinted ahead to the finish, I could hear her saying “NOOOOO” behind me. Not a nice way to lose a race – very sorry Steph if you read this – but LOOK BEHIND YOU.

It's not pretty but WHO cares! I was actually still waiting for Steph to come rushing past. I didn't realise she had stopped to smell the flowers!

So how did I do? I didn’t even know that until they called the 2nd and 3rd places the penny finally dropped that I had won and was 2nd overall. Very stoked. Very happy. It is the first time I have won anything I was also RM2000 and a sexy pair of Oakley sunnies better off.
Here are the rest of the results it was another great effort from the team and an awesome weekend:
Sergeant Sam: 1st place AGAIN, RM1600 better off with a pair of sexy GAY Oakley’s. (check out his picture below)
Uncle Don: Smiling all the way to a 4th place.

Li-Sar: 5th place. She said she was doing it for fun! Ha. Secret training on the bike has paid off – well done girl.
Gnae: He just couldn't wait to slip into his sarong! I think you got 6th placing-well done Gnae.
Carmen: 7th place. Carmen is in full Kona training mode now and had another positive day at the office and will be looking forward to Desaru I am sure. Mind you I was rather disappointed as she said her swim was bad. We finished almost together and I was doing cartwheels over mine!

Simon: 7th place. It seems the Black Beauty is working exceptionally well for Simon. He now just needs to go on back on the slim line tonic water and shed a little power gel – sorry mate but you know it’s true.
Cecil: 7th place. In probably the toughest group Cecil had a great outing.
Chris: A tough day at the office. Chris completed the race only to faint at the finish line. She had been suffering with an upset tummy and must have been severely dehydrated. The tough cookie that she is though, she finished AND was still the sexist girl in PD!


Randy: Talking of tough cookies, Randy had a nasty crash towards the end of his bike leg. He managed to ride into transition, swat away the nurses trying to bandage him up (not many guys would do that I can tell you) and go out onto the run and still come top 20. Well done Randy – hats off to you.
KK: I heard that KK had pulled his butt. Technically known as a glute I believe. I saw KK on the swim and he looked awesome, his run has been getting quicker and I thinks he just toys with us on the bike some days. Bad luck KK and better luck in Desaru.
Bee: Managed a personal best swim but then suffered with a tummy upset on the bike and on the run - must have been catching. Tough day but she still finished with a beaming smile – well done Bee!
Gane: He entered for fun and I have never seen someone so jovial and relaxed at the start of a race. A calming influence on me? Perhaps not, but I applaud your great spirit. Well done! (My apologies Gane, I could not find a picture of you. If anyone finds a picture of Gane in action please email me. I am now beggining to wonder if he did the race at all???)

Further entertaining snaps of the weekend...

11 comments:

sofiantriathlete said...

well done

Keipo said...

I saw Step stop totally ,think she know her power can't overtake u at last 50m,so gave up,while 3rd still a distance behind,Step walk to finish !

Tey

TriStupe said...

Mutant. I know you are up to no good when you had your bike fitted in TBB that afternoon me and shazly saw you.
:)

Well done!

Unknown said...

"one focused gal, slightly (should be highly) obsessed, very passionate and extremely determined" That is my TriQueen. I am proud to know you. I was hoping to get out of the water ahead and tail you on the bike and surrender in the run. But now you are ahead in the swim. If I can't cut my swim time, I am going to miss the sight of your butts henceforth....Well done. I sure hope to join the Wed and Sat's rides with you guys but my domestic duties until end of this year dictate I can't, unless there is a public holiday on Wed and Sat. Well I trihard on my own with the goal to be able to tail you on the bike.

John said...

Congrats! Really proud of you. You've been excellent in running. Now, you're coming up Tops in triathlon. What's next?

Emma said...

As much as my body and finances will allow me to do:)

Anonymous said...

shit i should wave at you as i am a special athlete from team tbb... aww! :(

good job for u guys!!! :)

hopefully to see u and interact with u using sign language!

terence (TBB athlete)

Emma said...

Sorry to have missed you Terence. Will be in Desaru - just look out for the Pink Suit!

Squirrel said...

Emma, I've got 1 of Gane's pic:

http://ivieong.multiply.com/photos/album/45/PDIT_-_Olympic_distance#39

So, I guess he did join the race then! :P

Unknown said...

Sis, well done, really proud of what you have achieved this year, but don't think that after my 25+ years of cycling (BMX + MTB)I'm going to let you get away from me on the road when I come over to visit later this year and join you for a ride or two!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Emma,

Congrats for winning the PD tri. Saw this write up about 2 weeks after PD, b’coz everybody been talking and e-mailing me about your write up ;-) Congrats again and hope you do well in Desaru. Again I am just going to cruise and finish the Desaru race before leaving to the Stated. I totally understand the feeling of doing triathlon race with only train during the weekend. 2008 is totally not my year, I’m in my very minimum preparation for racing. I’m finishing my study in mid 2009, we can race after that ;-P hehehe.

P/s: It’s not me that say “Noooooooooooooo”. I don’t even have the strength to even blink my eyes, somebody must have shouted for me;-P.

See you in Desaru this weekend.

chokstephanie