Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Villages 'wiped out' as massive earthquake near Samoa sparks tsunami warning for South Pacific

Entire villages are feared to be wiped out after a powerful 8.3-magnitude earthquake struck in the South Pacific between Samoa and American Samoa today, sending terrified residents fleeing for higher ground as a tsunami swept ashore.
Early reports say that there have been an unknown number of fatalities.


The quake hit at 6:48 am local time (17:48 GMT) midway between the two island groups.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1217020/Villages-wiped-massive-earthquake-near-Samoa-sparks-tsunami-warning-South-Pacific.html#ixzz0SX85jUQz

Emma says: Less than one week after Typhoon Ondnoy swept through Manila another natural disaster has struck. I count myself very lucky to live where I do and my thoughts go out to those people in the South Pacific who have lost everything. Too often we place too much value on material things in life. For some time now I have adopted a much simpler way of life. I place no value or attachments on what I call 'unnecessary material shit'. So long as I have a roof over my head, food to eat and can ride my bike I am happy. It is just 3 simple things, but sadly even this simplicity is something that many people around the world do not have the pleasure or security of on a daily basis.

No comments: