Saturday, August 23, 2008

Playing the Fool?!?

I have been accused of many things and like the next guy I like a joke but playing the fool is something I have never aspired to and particularly not whilst riding a bike. I can’t even ride “hands-free” so why would I attempt trickery and stunts on a busy highway? What IS she harping on about you may ask yourselves?
Here’s what happened...
Our normal routine Saturday ride nearly turned tragedy at the tail end of the ride this morning. Nobody’s fault it was just a nasty accident that could have been oh so much worse. But it is the actions of those people involved in the accident that made me so angry. I am still seething as I type this so I shall try to limit the use of expletives.
We (Sergeant Sam, Kona Carmen, Emma Pull-ME, Julie, KK, Chris & Li-sar) were on route back to BK via the Federal Highway. Just going up the Kerinchi link slip road I was having a tiring day and dropped to the small chain ring. Wouldn’t you know it – the chain dropped and I was on an elevation spinning thin air with the knowledge that there was a stream of traffic behind me.
What to do in this situation?
#1. Don’t Panic – check
#2. Don’t fall in the link of traffic – check
#3. Unclip ASAP – check
#4. Try to limit damage to self and George – Double Check
All was going to plan; I had unclipped and was trying to hurl myself against the hard shoulder wall. I saw the barrier bar and thought if I can grab that I will be safe from harm’s way. I caught the bar, kind of fell and the bike slipped out from under me, I think, (it all happened so fast). Li-sar was coming up behind me and clipped my wheel and then I had to look away. I thought it was curtains for the poor girl.
She skidded across the other side of the road into the line of an oncoming car. Amazingly Li-sar escaped very shaken and with a swollen knee but relatively unscathed. LUCKY ESCAPE.
Now is where the fun begins. The two people in the car, middle-aged man and lady then proceeded with the following actions:
1. Stopped – this is the correct thing to do ladies and gentleman.
2. Got out of car – correct again.
3. Accused me of playing the FOOL??? She said I was steering all over the place and kicking my leg out. When I tried to explain while admittedly shouting that my chain came off and that I was trying to balance and unclip hence the obscure movements she put her fingers in her ears! I was shouting a lot I know. I was VERY angry, and would like to have popped her one. Luckily my teammates stepped in and she and her husband moved on to poor Li-sar who was understandably shaking like a leaf.
4. Crazy Lady to Li-sar: What’s your name?
5. Crazy Lady to Li-sar: What’s your IC?
6. Crazy Lady to Li-sar:
What’s your insurance number
7. Crazy Lady to Li-sar:
I want compensation for my car what are you going to do?
8. Crazy Lady to Li-sar: You’re lucky we stopped, we could have killed you.
9. Crazy Lady to Li-sar: You should be thanking me for stopping.
Are you getting the gist of this ladies and gentleman?
What crazy lady failed to say:
1. Are you ok?
2. Do you need to go to the hospital, can we help?
3. I AM SO SORRY I RUN YOU OVER! (we know they could not have avoided it but still)
They wanted to make a police report to claim insurance and followed Li-sar and the team to BK. They found a policeman and he just laughed. Not at Li-sar, but at the Crazy lady. Because the long and short of it is there IS NO DAMAGE to their damn bloody crappy CAR!
When we got back to the car park and collected our thoughts it occurred to me that although they did stop the driver of the car made no effort at all to swerve! Me thinks they would rather hit a cyclist than swerve and risk hitting the wall and really damaging their SHITTY car.
SO to sum up:
Casualties: Li-sar has a swollen knee, I really hope that is all and that you will be right as rain for the interstate ride next week.
Li-Sar’s bike: The left side of her drop bars completely snapped – only the tape was holding them together, and the latest is the top tube is cracked through - so not good news.
Emma: Escaped with bruises and a headache for getting so bloody fired up
George: A miraculous escape – not a scratch.
Crazy Ladies Car: KK was rather angry like myself so maybe he took the rear of the car by mistake-all in the heat of the moment?? Anyway you can all see for yourself just how Fu#ked up it is NOT!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

if i were you, i would sue the lady for talking too much and not using her head when doing so.. and puncture her tyre at the police station !!! yikez......

Anonymous said...

I think the main point of this accident is being washed over in the hoo-ha - the truth is EMMA FELL OFF AGAIN!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I think the main point of this accident is being washed over in the hoo-ha - the truth is EMMA FELL OFF AGAIN!!!!!!

Emma said...

Taking a guess. I would say someone anonymous just got back from Euroland. COWARD!