Saturday, August 2, 2008

Tales From a Sore Spot II

After 5 lazy arse mornings I was raring to ride today. George was left at home and I opted to take the older bike in my life “Scott” for the jaunt up to Ulu Yam. Only a circa 86k starting from Bukit Kiara, the intense and hilly ride was supposed to separate the "boys from the men". So imagine my surprise when the group tally this week totalled 17 with one more, Mr. Simon Cross to pick up on route. That pick-up never actually materialised and pleasantries were exchanged as we were leaving the breakfast stop and he was arriving. (Sorry you had a solo ride Simon, too much beer perhaps – or the alarm didn’t go off?).
Upon reaching the foot of the first hill having had previous experience of the torture around every bend I decided to use what momentum I could muster to help ease myself up the first little buggar. I must now apologise to the group as I thought we together at this stage and whilst trying not to go into cardiac arrest ascending the hills didn’t realise you guys were regrouping. It was only when Kimbeley caught me up that I saw there was only thin air behind us.
Apparently Gane tried that lovely local “smooching” noise to alert my attention to wait up but he now knows that WHENEVER I hear that noise I ignore it! I suggested next time he actually shout my name as it may work better but he seems to think it takes far less effort to make the smooching noise – whatever!
Had a nice chat with Kim (I did the talking) before she grew tired and probably bored of the pace and went off ahead to the top where we waited for everyone to reassemble before the descent for brekkie. Carmen likened the pace down to a stream of super bikes – it was pretty awesome, heads down bums in the air speeding as fast as you dare.
The first time I did this ride I was forewarned of a monster that was preceded by yet a bigger monster. I was then informed you had to do it all again on the way back. Gosh I miss those naive days – it got me a long way not knowing what was waiting around every corner. That time the return trip was pretty good. Second outing and the return was pure and simple, PAIN. This time round after 5 days of LIGHT exercise my legs were getting nastily lactic, my fault I guess for pushing as usual. At breakfast the legs were pulsating; I kept quiet but was not looking forward to the return AT ALL and would have done anything to prolong the stop.
Last to leave the coffee shop, (I said I wanted to prolong the stop), I was playing my usual game of catch-up, thank you Adzim for waiting and nice chatting with you. The hills came...and they went, they came...and they went. I felt great. I even starting humming to myself at one point, something I have not done since the IM training – the legs suddenly starting working.
I reached back to BK in a ride time of 3.05, pretty happy with that especially as I had promised myself a run afterwards. Randy and I set off and did 9k, whilst Seargent Sam, Carmen, Chris and KK went on a sensible 4k trot. Thanks for that Randy, I know you did not love every minute of it as I did, so cheers.
SO, it’s true. Rest, or in my case light exercise is the ticket – it works. Looking forward to a sadistically heavy week now followed by a taper for Desaru – BRING IT ON! BTW: I am known for my ritual of baking for the Saturday rides and it has been mentioned to actually put an oven on my bike. Maybe not an oven but perhaps this could be fathomed – not sure how it will affect my cool factor though?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey emma, so sorry to have just gone while talking to u. When I climb I just have to have my cadence to suit my momentum if not I can't climb so I had to go. And I was quite out of breath. Apologies...

Emma said...

Kim, no worries, just kidding with ya:)

Ishsal said...

i've never ridden anywhere from kiara-hartamas, always electing to drive (fag!). will hop on the last coach of the train one of these days.