Monday, September 1, 2008

BIG Weekend (in more ways than one)

The 196k ride to PD and back was the longest many have sat in the saddle since IM Langkawi. Partly a Birthday ride for yours truly and partly a training ride for Kona bound Carmen, it started out as a cool day in the saddle that escalated after breakfast at Costa Rica into a scorcher that then did a tailspin in the last 15k’s home into a torrential downpour that had TTH struggling to see.
The good news; we returned without incident. It was a tough ride for some and even tougher for others. Randy got back from Vietnam very late the night before and managed to rumble up to the meet point still with half a smile on his face. Simon also had just stepped off the plane from his summer holiday earlier the previous evening from what was probably a mammoth journey with the family in tow and no sleep; it was good to see you made it. Funny the lengths people will go to when a free (albeit cheap) breakfast is on the horizon.
To cap it off it took me an hour to get home, some concert going on nearby home had me soggy and stranded in my car for an hour for a journey that usually takes 10minutes. It was 5.30 by the time George was clean, clothes clean and I was clean, just in time for wine and the birthday chat to parents. Out again by 6.30 for an early birthday dinner – thank you John. I was tucked up in bed before 10pm as I had no sleep the night before (noisy neighbours) and a 25k run to get through. (Borneo although for fun is now in the sights.)
Slept like a log. When the alarm went off I did not want to budge so stayed put for a few minutes then looked at my phone to see a message. The run venue had been changed from Bukit Aman 6.15am to Bukit Kiara at 6am, it was now 5.35am! Rolled, and then promptly fell out of bed. Threw my clothes on, sent a text in advance apologising for my lateness that was certainly coming and jumped in the car. Nearly rolled it around the corner into BK (so Sam says – I think he was exaggerating). Parked up next to Sam and Carmen and then this is where I really knew I should have stayed in bed. Went to get out the car and saw Sam’s car moving backwards. Crikey I thought where are they going?? It quickly sunk in as I heard a slight crunch I had left mine in drive and was moving forwards!!
The run was tough, heavy, heavy legs. Everyone was in the same boat but I was feeling dizzy and sick and had not even been drinking and was feeling more like 64 than 34! My head and heart got me through the run yesterday, that and picking up the rear of Sam, Julie and Marianna.
Things did not improve throughout the day. Sit down, stand up, and fall over. Not a happy bunny. Luckily by the time the evening rolled round for the pool party I was feeling a little more sprightly. Thanks to everyone who came and for the wonderful presents, I was more than a little overwhelmed by your generosity and kindness. And thank you Ivie for the wonderful chocolate cake you made. I am sure someone took pictures so I will blog a couple once they are passed on.
The ride this morning DID NOT go ahead. That was a joint decision by all. A swim is instead planned for tonight. For the rest of the day I am going to try to chill and detox all the chocolate out my system...and am pleased to report I feel MUCH better.
It is September 1st and the training starts again...NOW! Well after I have polished of the remaining chocolate cake, and Godiva chocolate of course – can’t waste it now can I??

No comments: